Wednesday 7 January 2009

I mean.. 'How hard can it be!?!'

This infamous statement is often said on Top Gear by Jeremy Clarkson, which is promptly followed by a 20 minute film showing that it is always, much, much harder and more work than you could ever expect!! With this attitude I decided to take on 'Pete's invitation', at the time simply thinking it will be difficult, but worth it.

Very quickly though this optimism has seemed to disappear!! 70 miles in a car is known as a fair ol' journey, walking that however is a whole different ball-game. Everytime I set out for a bit of a walk, and someone has said "do you realise we've already done one mile?!", I'd respond grudgingly "Oh genius, but I've gotta do 70 of 'em!" Conversation would promptly wain, as I'm dragged into my thoughts of a surreal series of events involving the coast guards, the TA and various mountain rescues!!

Action was required. Plan A. I've aimed to get going on some sort of training immediately, doing a daily three-quarters-of-an-hour walk, in my lunch break, around Gloucester town. (which everyone will admit can be a mixed bag to say the least!! From Inspiring, to well...down right depressing!) That should at least add to the mileage that my legs will need to do. I also am trying to walk home from work, when I have opportunity or the time in the evening... the issue will be whether I can string all these little walks into something more substantial, all the while, hoping that the knee stays intact (but more about that in a later entry!).

I'm telling myself the hard work starts here!! As Ken reminded us recently, only 165 days to go, and so much to do, let alone, start on the fund raising and publicity drive for this thing... but as I keep telling myself... as long as we all make a substantial amount for MacMillan.. , it'll be worth it!!

So Jezza... how hard can it be?........ Trust me, VERY!

(P.s. boys - I'm not planning on entertaining, I'm just planning on dragging myself to Pen y fan!! Ha ha!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment