Tuesday 23 June 2009

It's all about the guy next to you

Well, what more can I say that hasn't been said!

What an experience the guys have gone through, pushing themselves on and on. It's interesting to see how this seemed to be less a physical endurance event, more a mental one. The day after most were up and about, and apart from Ken's feet, pretty chipper! It's amazing how when the body seems happy to give up, the mind can drive it forward.

I enjoyed my little bit a well, staying up for nearly 44 hours straight through, interesting having to fight sleep - thanks to caffeine and cold air!

I think the best part for me was seeing the guys from the first time from the summit. They're were about 20 of us up there, waiting for them, and to watch they're approach and encourage them with some very very bad singing (sorry Pete) was great fun.

The worst part had to be using gaffer tape to attach the boys shoes and socks to the air vents on the van and then blasting red hot air through them. I'm sure (Hope!) they appreciated the warm dry footwear, but the smell, well....interesting... :)

Marky and Luke did a far better job than me running around after the boys and getting all they're gear together, learning what each of them was likely to need and then making sure they had it. And Becky and Mel added a much needed shot of sanity to the support team, well done you all!

So yeah, quite an experience. What did I learn? Well when you're in the middle of it, it's not about the charity, the money or the good thing you're doing. It's about you're mates, not letting them down, being strong for them and helping each other finish.... I just hope Pete doesn't phone me again with another crazy crazy idea :)

Keep an eye on our media sites, more stuff to come....

Support Wrangler

No comments:

Post a Comment